Thursday, August 21, 2008

Box versus Bottle

A good friend of mine recently sent me an article about how boxed wine known as cask wine in many other countries, is economically, practically, and environmentally superior to wine stored in glass bottles. This article spurred me to do a little more research on the topic. I could find no research (granted it was just what I could find on the internet over a 45 minute period) that contradicted the above article's position. I have to admit that I was very surprised by this finding. I came in extremely biased against boxed wine, which stems from the fact that I have never had a boxed wine (and I have tried a dozen or so) that hasn't made me regret allowing its content to pass over my lips. Plus, I have personally witnessed the evils boxed wine can bring on a person, but since I don't have permission to share this epic story I will have to leave this evidence locked in the Great Stories For Another Time vault.

Now let me share the true story behind boxed wine. My first lesson on the history of boxed wine came several years ago when I was living in Australia. I found out that it was a South Australian who created boxed wine. Australia has a thriving boxed wine market. I was then informed that boxed wine had another important function. Soon after boxed wine hit the Australian market reports flooded back of people whom, once the bag had been emptied of wine, were inflating the plastic bag and passing out while using it as a pillow. The bags that hold the wine have earned the name of Space Bags. Many people will tell you this name was given because of the shiny metalic silver color which gives the bags a space age feel, but the true story is that they are aptly labeled as Space Bags because the people who go through a whole bag of boxed wine are spaced out in more ways than just being obnoxiously drunk. Furthermore, anyone who passes out, resting their head on the opulent comfort of the Space Bag, after consuming vast amounts of wine that has been deemed worthy of a box and plastic bladder will have some of the trippiest dreams/nightmares that the human mind can create. With this being said, next time you are offered a second or third plastic cup of boxed wine think about where the night could take you...and if it does take you to a night on the space-bag please please please email me the story.

I must admit that this article, and the other "research" I have encountered has opened me up to the idea that boxed wine could end up being a good deal. I have allowed the idea of throwing a party where a few boxes of wine are freely flowing to enter my mind, but I don't see this happening for many years to come...not until my current pillows have lost every onze of plush. I personally will not be heading in the direction of boxed wine until the market starts offering many options at the higher quality range of wine.

No comments: