Monday, February 4, 2008

Australian Leanings

What a week. Lachlan's immune system decided it was high time to introduce several new bugs and viruses all in the same week. Although Lachlan means warrior, this little guy was given more than he could fight off with a stomach virus, which seems to still be affecting him a week later, and a nasty ear infection. Instead of spending his time battling against these little harbingers of illness Lachlan directed all his energy into orchestrating a monumental attack against any and all forms of sleep. Lachlan's war against sleeping left Jessi and me as the innocent casualties of our son's successful campaign. This week left me exhausted. I went to bed earlier than usual, but Lachlan's battle against sleep infiltrated all times of the day and night, having no regard for the usually peaceful hours of 3, 4, and 5 in the morning. When Jessi came back from some time away on Saturday I was ready to escape into the beautiful world of wine, which is exactly what I did.

The wine shop had two different tastings, as if they knew that one tasting wouldn't be enough for the week I had! I started off tasting wines from the proprietor of a lovely winery in the Alsace region of France. I wish I got the name of this winery; I was just too tired to think clearly. She had a picture of a quaint town in the Alsace region showing where the specific vineyards were located, and with a little more conversation she warmed up enough to point out where her house was located in the picture. It is fascinating to listen to her talking about these wines, and how important terroir was to her. Her picture spoke volumes about how important sense of place was to her and the wines she was sharing with us.

It felt like many of us just weren't getting it; we weren't understanding and/or caring why this lady placed so much importance in showing us exactly where these wines came from, and where the town was that dealt with these grapes. For her, the life of these wines came not only from the quality of the grapes, the weather during the growing season, the wine makers decisions regarding yield, how long to age wines, what type of barrel to age in, etc. but was inextricably tied to the people of this region and town, and to the earth which she has known all her life. My only interest in her land was in regards to how well it aided the growing of quality fruit for the wine, but she didn't see the land as just a means to getting good wine, which in turn would give her enough money to live, she had a relationship with her vineyards. She held a respect, love, and passion for her vineyards and town. I believe her town and vineyards helped define who she saw herself to be. That got me thinking about how I am impacted by sense of place. Do I have anywhere I am deeply connected to? Is there a place I love, respect, and feel passion for? (By the way, her pinot noir and Pinot Gris were exceptional).

After trying her wines I walked to the other end of the store to embark on my second tasting of the afternoon. They were tasting a Portuguese red blend, a Bordeaux, Minnervois, and a semillon/reisling blend dessert wine from France. They were all enjoyable wines, with the exception of the Bordeaux, yet I found myself drawn back to the French vinter. I went back over, asked for another taste of her Pinot Noir, and listened to her interact with tasters for another 10 minutes. I asked a couple questions, but I couldn't figure how to ask the question that would help me enter her world. I finally moved on and went to look at the Australian wines.

I was excited because Jessi and I had agreed that it would be a brilliant idea if I brought home a bottle of wine for the evening, or afternoon if life left us no other options! There were several wines from the two tastings that would have filled our need for wine adequately that evening, but I chose to wander through the Australian wine section. In the end I brought home an Australian bottle from the Barossa valley; the 2004 Glen Eldon Dry Bore Shiraz. I didn't know it at the time, but I believe I brought home this wine because Australia is the land where I feel the most connection. My family left Australia when I was 7 years old, and Jessi and I were blessed to be able to live there between 2003 and 2005. When I went back to Australia I was surprised to feel a sense of connection with the land and place that I had never felt anywhere else. This French lady helped reconnected me with this intriguing feeling of connection I have felt with the place where I was born. Upon much reflection I realize that my feeling of connection is not just to the eucalyptus trees, the stunning white sandy beaches, the rich red earth, and the smell of the bush, but it is as much to the people and their laid back way, their irreverent yet inviting sense of humor, their unflappability, and their genuine sense of caring. I am left wondering how Australia has shaped who I am today, and how being American has shaped me as well. How has living in several different places affected who I am? I am guessing that there are pros and cons to moving often and to living in one place ones' whole life.

Wine has often connected me to memories of friends and family, but this is the first time I have been able to put words to the reality that wine has connected me to a place, a place I am undeniably joined with. It is amazing how an innocent glass of Shiraz holds the power to help a person find his place in the world.

I don't want to neglect to let you know my humble opinions about this Barossa Shiraz. This wine was very good, every sip was enjoyable. The color was a dark purple, but not quite as viscous to the eye as the Ste. Michelle Cab Sav. The bouquet had blueberry hints followed by a solid wiff of blackberry and cedar. The mouth feel was smooth with a medium body. This wine exhibited great blackberry flavors, subtle cedar and oak components, and had the most interesting hint of kerosene on the back of the palate. There was also an enjoyable dusty feeling in the mouth. For 23 dollars I would seek this wine out again. The great thing about Australia is that you can find a lot of great wine in this price point. I would score this wine a solid 92 points.

I thought about ending this post with a warning: beware of wine because you don't always know where it will take you, but I don't really feel that way. What I really want to say is: pay attention to where life takes you; what a glass of wine may leave you pondering, what a innocent conversation with a friend or stranger may leave you feeling, ways that a meal, email, book, phone call, picture, etc. may connect you to your past, present, and/or future. Treasure the relationships you have with people, place, and wine.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

A beautiful post, my love. But the words that I take with me as I leave, was something about 3,4,5 am are usually peaceful. @#$%!????? Surely, I misread that part.....

David said...

I could write many posts about how in awe I am of all you do as a mother. I decided to just focus on how his crying was affecting me!